Thursday, March 4, 2010

I Will Not Give Up

I dug in my heels and worked my butt off this week. I think I'm one of those people who will not believe it can't be done. So.... I will not give up on my kids and no matter how limited their abilities are, I will figure out a way to teach them some algebra.
I will try to rally those who can, to teach those who can't, and we will be a team. I had a couple of bad days and a couple of good days, so to me, it was a good week.

Today I had to explain to a class of 15 and 16 year olds that chickens did not give birth to baby chicks and that the eggs they sell in the grocery store are really unfertilized chicken eggs, that if fertilized would have "hatched" into chicks. They looked at me in disbelief and wondered how the eggs could possibly ever get fertilized. That was a conversation I refused to have and I told them to google it and tell me about it tomorrow. These city kids have a really narrow realm of experiences and every day I am surprised by what they have never heard of.

Here are my latest LO's. This one I did with a kit from Bubblescrap Design's called Spring Cake. I love these pictures of my beautiful daughter and nieces. They are growing up so fast, and it was so nice to see them together at Christmas all grown up and chatting about their lives.

Here's one of my grandaughters Julianna and Cadence. Jules had her hair crimped and she looked so cute. She really is a great big sister, and Cadence is lucky to have her to look up to. For this LO I used Bubblescrap Designs kit called Take My Breath Away .

I participated in a photo swap challenge at MLAS.
I sent a picture of my mom to Vicki and she made this LO for me. I really love the way it came out. It reminds me of what a great time I had hanging out with my mom in Florida. She really had a lot of fun and I enjoyed watching her.

Vicki sent me a picture of her cat Rex and this is what I did with a kit from Rucola Designs called Fresh & Wet. It was fun to make a LO for someone else and kinda different for me to scrap a picture of a cat.

Here's a QP from My Life and Scrap. You can get it here.



3 comments:

  1. Yeah for you for not giving up on your students. You are making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dedication is impressive to me. I remember taking algebra in high school with the "slow" class because all the "advanced" students had taken it in 8th grade, and I had moved from a school that didn't do that. I'll never forget how confused they were, or how they'd get so frustrated and ask me for help (I never had any problems with algebra then. Ask me now... not so much. lol). And as for the chickens, I remember explaining the same thing to a class of graduate music students when I was at LSU. Sure, I was a farm girl, but geesh! It was amazing to me how foreign that all was to them. All of them. lol

    (((hugs))) Hope you have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dedication! I can so relate. We live in a pretty rural area and many of my kids are farm/ranch kids. They usually believe that you have to have a rooster on the farm in order for your hens to lay eggs. Then we start the animal reproduction unit in my Animal Science class and their little light bulbs over their heads start lighting up :)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete